Followers

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Roasted Cauliflower Soup (Take 3)

I've made this soup twice before. It's inspired by this recipe on Allrecipes. However, this time I made several changes.

First of all, I used purple cauliflower. They are simply beautiful, and they contain the antioxidant anthocyanin which provides a unique health benefit. Apparently, they are not genetically engineered- they are simply the result of decades of selective breeding.



Next, I substituted chipotle peppers in adobo sauce for the spices in the All Recipes version, and added chicken and bell peppers.

The recipe looks like this:

2 purple cauliflowers
5 shallots
2 red peppers
3 garlic heads
1 package chicken breasts
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup fat free half and half (that's the kind I had in the fridge)
several glugs of olive oil
3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
few pinches salt


1. Set oven to 425 degrees F. Wash and slice cauliflower. Place in a casserole dish and toss with olive oil. Roast for 35 minutes.
2. In the meantime, slice peppers, garlic, shallots, and chicken. Stir fry chicken until done, then add other veggies and saute until done.
3. When cauliflower can be sliced with a fork, remove from casserole dish and place in a large pot. Add 3 cups chicken broth, 1 cup half and half, and sliced chipotle peppers.
4. Using a burr mixer, mix ingredients until chunks are very small.
5. Pour the mixture through a filter; discard solids and retain liquid.
6. Add veggies and chicken to the soup. Season with salt as necessary and serve.

I was expecting this soup to be a bit more purple, but it was quite delicious.



It's fun to play with this recipe over the years and see how it can be altered. Happy experimenting!

2 comments:

Lorena said...

It looks delicious. I've been having abdominal pain since February. It has progressed to daily. I can only tolerate vegetables and fruits, do this recipe will be made.

I'm not sure what "1 package chicken breast" means. I buy whole chickens and keep the breasts, so I don't buy them by the package. I don't think they sell it that way in our grocery stores.

Would that be like 1 chicken breast or 2 lbs.?

dasunrisin said...

Thanks Lorena!

Sorry to hear about your pain! I used about three chicken breasts for this recipe, but you can use however many you wish.

Happy cooking!